Stove Top Chiccoli Casserole
- 3 – 1/2 Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tablespoons Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 6 Cloves Garlic – Chopped Fine
- 2 1/2 Cups Water
Place breasts in a large skillet over medium heat, add water, pepper, and garlic. Bring to simmer and cook covered for approximately 30 minutes. Turn off burner, remove breasts, remove any skin and bones and discard, cube meat and set aside. Remove broth from the skillet and set aside (should be around two cups.)
- 1/2 Cube Butter
- 1 1/2 Cups Basmati Rice
- 1/2 Cup Vermicelli (Broken into 1/2 inch pieces)
- Saved Broth From Earlier Chicken
- Saved Chicken From Earlier
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Yellow Onion – Diced
- 2 Stalks of Celery – Diced
- 2 Cups of Broccoli – Diced
- Salt to taste
Melt butter in a large pan (5 or more quart) over medium heat. Add rice and vermicelli to the pan, brown lightly. Add broth and water; add chicken; add onion, celery, and broccoli; salt, stir, and bring to a simmer while covered.
Cook covered for about 20 minutes, till the rice is done. Once done, turn off burner and leave covered for about ten minutes to rest.
Serve with toast.
Some optional twists:
- Mix-in 1 cup of Parmesan cheese once cooking is complete;
- mix in 1 can of cream of (chicken or mushroom or celery) soup during the last five minutes of cooking;
- spread in casserole dish once done, cover in pepper-jack cheese, place under broiler till cheese is bubbly.
Say grace and give thanks to the Lord for everything, both the good and the bad.